A strong economy guarantees the essentials the people of Chisholm and across Australia rely on.
“The security of your job, the quality of your healthcare, your business and your retirement all depend on a strong economy,” Julia Banks MP, Federal Member for Chisholm, said today.
“That’s why I’m proud to be a part of the Turnbull Government. We are delivering tax relief with a focus on low and middle income earners and responsibly returning the budget to balance,” Ms Banks said.
“Under the Turnbull Government’s economic plan, jobs are being created, investment is rising and the budget is strengthening. Our plan will:
- Deliver lower, fairer and simpler taxes to encourage and reward working Australians;
- Back businesses to invest and create more jobs, building on our legislated tax cuts for small and medium enterprise;
- Guarantee the essential services that Australians rely on including record funding for hospitals and schools, a comprehensive approach to aged care so older Australians can live life to the full, and guaranteed funding for disability services;
- Keep Australians safe by strengthening security at airports and investing more in our intelligence and security service;
- Ensure the Government lives within its means with a forecast return to modest budget balance in 2019-20, with the lowest average real growth in payments of any Government in the last 50 years.
Delivering For Chisholm
Tax relief across Chisholm
“Our tax relief plan will encourage and reward hard working Australians. More than 63,000 taxpayers in Chisholm will receive a new offset of up to $530 a year under our plan to reduce cost pressures on household budgets.” Ms Banks said.
There is great news for the over 19000 local businesses in Chisholm, with the $20,000 instant asset write-off continuing for another year, helping small business invest in new equipment.
This is on top of legislated tax cuts for small and medium businesses that are helping them to grow, create more jobs and pay higher wages.
Investing in Infrastructure
“The 2018 Budget will specifically work towards delivering better outcomes for Chisholm residents. The Turnbull Government is focused on building the roads, rail and other vital infrastructure that grow the economy and make life better for Australians.” Ms Banks said.
“We are busting congestion through a dedicated fund which will help Chisholm residents from Box Hill to Mount Waverley and from Blackburn South to Burwood to get home safe and sooner.” Ms Banks said.
“The benefits of the Turnbull Government’s infrastructure investment for the communities of Chisholm include:
- A $5 billion commitment to deliver the Melbourne Airport Rail Link
- $475 million for the planning and pre-construction of a new rail line to the Monash precinct, including Monash University
- $140 million for the Victorian Congestion Package”
Guaranteeing Essential Services
“We are guaranteeing the essential services Chisholm families rely on, by increasing total health and hospitals funding by 30%, delivering a 50% average increase per student in fair, real needs based school funding over the decade, and more child care and preschool support to those families who need it most – including ensuring that 2,206 children in Chisholm can access 15 hours of quality early learning in the year before school,” Ms Banks said.
Securing the Futures of Chisholm Residents
The Turnbull Government is supporting the 26,337 people aged over 65 and their families in the electorate of Chisholm to live longer, happier and healthier lives.
Further we are investing in skills programs for workers over 45 years; allowing people on the Age Pension to keep more of what they earn from part time work and extending this to those on the pension who are self-employed; expanding the Pension Loans Scheme to all people of Age Pension age; and allowing recent retirees to make further contributions to superannuation.
“Our More Choices for a Longer Life plan will help older Chisholm residents live healthy and connected lives with increased financial and skills support and 14,000 more home care places,” Ms Banks said.
Health, Fitness and Wellbeing The Turnbull Government is investing a record $130 billion in public hospitals, $338.1 million on mental health funding focusing on suicide prevention and providing $1.4 billion for life saving medicines including for breast cancer and muscular dystrophy.
“We have also has delivered a $230 million package of sports and physical activity participation initiatives to encourage more Australians to be more active, more often. This investment in participation at a local, grassroots level will have a significant, positive impact on communities across Chisholm,” Ms Banks said.
The 2018 Budget Delivers for Chisholm
“Our plan for a stronger economy means that Chisholm residents can plan for their future with confidence. Ms Banks said.
For more information please visit: http://budget.liberal.org.au/
Media Contact for Ms Banks: Caitlin Hardy 0425 752 532